ROCKHAPPENZ.com homepage

The Majestic Theatre

ROCKONZ Rock Hall Of Fame
First Name· Last Name· Groups· Venues· Events· Entities· Submit· e-Mail· Links· Search

       
 

The Majestic Theatre - principal Christchurch concert venue in the late 50s and early 60s

Opened on 1st March 1930, The Majestic Theatre was built for John Fuller & Sons and was leased to Christchurch Cinemas Ltd.  Billed as 'The Showplace of Christchurch', the exterior was an Art Deco style containing three floors of offices, known as Majestic House.  In 1946, it was sold to the Kerridge-Odeon Chain, and later that year, it was badly damage by a fire.  It was renovated to the designs of architect Harry Francis Willis.  In the 1960ís, live stage shows became popular at the Majestic Theatre, with Startime Spectacular running for quite some time, and also appearances by pop groups from Great Britain, including The Kinks, Cliff Richard and The Shadows, The Dave Clark Five, and Manfred Mann.  In 1964 The Beatles played their only concert in Christchurch at the Majestic - this was their final New Zealand concert.  The Majestic Theatre closed on 28th August 1970, and was converted into a nightclub, named Moby Dick's Nite Spot.  Six years later it was again badly damaged by fire and the night club closed.  It was later owned by the Christchurch Revival Fellowship Church.