ROCKHAPPENZ.com homepage

The Caledonian Hall

ROCKONZ Rock Hall Of Fame
First Name· Last Name· Groups· Venues· Events· Entities· Submit· e-Mail· Links· About

   

The Caledonian Hall  —  135 Kilmore Street, Christchurch

The Canterbury branch of the Caledonian Society was established in March 1882 by a group of Scottish immigrants who were keen to maintain links with their Scottish cultural and ethnicheritage.  Their first premises were built in Worcester Street in 1904, and in 1923 they shifted to a new hall at 135 Kilmore Street, which was designed by architect Henry St Aubyn Murray (1886-1943).  Space was provided within the building for dances and concerts, and it went on to house The Caledonian Ballroom as well as The Zodiac nitespot (under the auspices of Bart Ball in the 1960s.  The building was demolished after it was seriously damage in the February 22nd, 2011 Christchurch earthquake.

 

The Caledonian Hall circa 2010 (pre-earthquake)


The Caledonian Hall under demolition circa March 2011